Blackheads are a mild type of acne that usually form on the face, but they can also appear on the following body parts: back, chest, neck, arms, shoulders etc. Both pimples and blackheads are types of acne blemishes. But these blemishes develop differently, and are treated differently too. Some factors can increase your chances of developing acne and blackheads, including:
- Producing too much body oil
- The buildup of the Propionibacterium acnes bacteria on the skin
- Irritation of the hair follicles when dead skins cells don’t shed on a regular basis.
- Undergoing hormonal changes that cause an increase in oil production during the teen years, during menstruation, or while taking birth control pills
- Taking certain drugs, such as corticosteroids, lithium, or androgens